nafex - [NAFEX] American Persimmons

  • From: "robscott@freeshell.org" <robscott@freeshell.org>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] American Persimmons
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:37:07 +0000 (UTC)

Regarding the persimmons -- don't they also produce rhizomes?

There is a grove of Persimmon trees here, reportedly all the trees are clones (attached by rhizomes underneath) from an original parent tree 25 years old. Attempts to transplant "seedlings" revealed that they were suckers and 0% of transplant attempts were successful. They even tried presevering rhizome connections, then returning with a mechanical tree digger.

Here's my puzzle: If this single parent generated this whole grove of root sprouts, it must've produced both types of flower at some point, for there are now Persimmon trees all over the nearby viscinity. The original trees were volunteers, and I've identified them as wild (unselected) D. virginiana . I'm in Zone 5b, Illinois.

Second puzzle: I discovered a University of Illinois Persimmon patch from the 1960s or 70s that is loaded with seedless virginiana Persimmons which are likely a named cultivar -- any ideas? Golf ball sized & even ripening.

Rob Scott
Urbana, IL