nafex - [NAFEX] Fwd: Midwestern edible perennials?

  • From: "Jeff Hall" <jrhall@iastate.edu>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fwd: Midwestern edible perennials?
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:00:39 -0600

Hello All,
The group Digging Deeper, headed up by Rick Hartmann of PFI, and Teva
Dawson and Susan Stringer of the Des Moines Community Gardening
Coalition, is looking for information on edible perennials. We are
looking for the toughest varieties, or at least local varieties that
can
withstand possible disease, wind damage, pollution, or drought. We are
placing these trees, shrubs and other edible perennials at elementary
schoolyards, homeless shelters, and community centers where volunteers
will be taking over the care after the first three years.
What we're asking for is your knowledge and experience with certain
varieties. We are looking for diversity, depth, and the ever-popular,
"low maintenance". Here are few specific questions:

1.What varieties of any of the following do you find most disease
resistant and successful? Apples, Pears, Peaches(!), cherries (sweet
and
sour), pawpaw, apricots, nut trees(!), root vegetables, strawberries,
raspberries, jostaberries, blueberries, asparagus, any other exciting
edible we missed

2. Do you know anything about the history of these plants that could
be
noted?(i.e. Did it grow in Iowa pre-20th century, is there a story
behind the name of the fruit)

3. Do you have any special tricks for implementation?

4. Where on your land do you plant these and why? (wind break,
erosion,
etc)

5. Do you use organic pest management or disease treatments?

6. Finally and most importantly, we are looking for wholesale
nurseries
that you can trust and recommend?

Please send responses to Todd Kimm at this email address
(todd@practicalfarmers.org) and he will relay the info.

Thank you so much for your time,
Rick Hartmann, Teva Dawson and Susan Stringer