nafex - [NAFEX] a tad bawdy with the Asian Pear

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] a tad bawdy with the Asian Pear
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:23:39 -0600

Hi folks, here in Maine some folks on the southern southern part of the state
develop good flavor, but near me, in-land central (find St. Albans on a map
of
Maine), good friends grow Asian Pears. Their names for them are SO-sh#tty and
SO-
sucky, Shinsui and Shinseiki? cultivars. Wisconsin warms up faster and cools
down
slower generally than me so you may be fine. Here, they are very watery and
without
flavor, but still crisp fruit and vigorous trees, with tons of new growth
every
year, and reasonable producers. My friends use them to mix with cider. Pretty
okay
juice if your thirsty. But just a few miles north, they ain't gonna do
nothin. Lee
Reich I think wrote the chinese pears have some very hardy stuff...Anyone
know what
cultivars are available?
Sorry for the swears, thought you all might laugh,
Heron Breen

  • [NAFEX] a tad bawdy with the Asian Pear, Heron Breen, 11/10/2004