nafex - Re: [NAFEX] loquat leaves

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] loquat leaves
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 17:52:20 -0500

I remember reading an article in some science publication about chronic cyanide poisoning. Obviously, acute cyanide poisoning kills people. But it seems the body does have mechanisms to cope with small quantities of cyanide. These mechanisms depend on an adequate supply of dietary protein, so people are more susceptible to cyanide poisoning if they are chronically short of protein. (This was a problem for some population in the article, which had turned to a higher-cyanide version of some crop due to a famine, and also lacked protein, due to the same famine.) Symptoms of chronic cyanide poisoning, if I remember correctly, included nerve damage and partial paralysis.

All that being said, I wouldn't drink huge amounts of it all the time, but it's probably fine to drink from time to time. I remember that my "how does it apply to me" response to the article was to worry less about the occasional apple seed I chew, since I generally have a high-protein/low-cyanide diet.

Ginda