nafex - [NAFEX] loquat leaf tea

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] loquat leaf tea
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 07:37:02 -0800

I ran across a use for loquat that is new to me... loquat leaf tea.
Since loquats can thrive in Seattle, but probably will never produce
fruit, tea is one edible use I could get from this tree. I have one
seedling that is entering its second winter outside. The seed came from
South Carolina. Here is a link to the webpage where I first learned of
this tea.
http://www.localharvest.org/store/item.jsp?id=48

One person says this about the tea... "This tea has a beautiful pink
hue, and a subtle sweetness unlike any other herbal tea I've tried. Just
boil one whole leaf in about 3 cups of water." Another person says...
"Loquat Leaf Tea has been enjoyed in China and Japan for thousands of
years." For something with such a long track record, you would expect
it to be same to consume. Does anyone see any safety issues with loquat
leaf tea? I am thinking of cyanide related problems. Would this have a
cumulative effect?

-Mark Lee, Seattle, zone 8a