nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Watercore

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: osso@acadia.net, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Watercore
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 21:18:06 -0600

Hi Ozzie, I don't know what it is called but I think I saw the same thing you
are
describing in Honeycrisp grown last year in Massachusetts. The grower called
it
watercore, so I took his word for it, but this was in early September, so I
didn't
think temps had been right for watercore to develop. Then this year I saw it
in a
few different varieties growing in low spots. I guess I just assumed I had
missed
optimum picking time, but I think now I was making an incorrect assumption.
Maybe
we could email Renae and ask her...
a little rain,
Heron
On Sat Oct 30 12:59 , 'Richard J. Ossolinski' <osso@acadia.net> sent:

>>From a newsletter by Renae Moran, Pomologist, U of ME:
>
>> Watercore:
>> With cold temperatures occurring at night and apples becoming mature to
>> over
>> mature, the chance for watercore is likely. Apples with severe watercore
>> should
not be > stored since they will turn black on the inside. Mild cases will
cure
themselves,but
>> should not go into CA storage.
>> For those of you who have never seen this, it is water soaking around the
>> core
and
>> inside the core. The air space in the flesh becomes filled with sugars,
>> alcohol
andwater. > McIntosh gets it in rare cases, Delicious gets almost every year.

>And speaking of watercore, this year I have noticed (for the first time) a
>few apples (of different varieties) displaying the supersaturated appearance
>of watercore but just under the skin (and sometimes a bit deeper) but not in
>(or even near) the core itself.
>Examining the exterior of the fruit (the skin that covers these areas) does
>not indicate any abnormality within, i.e. the fruit must be cut or bitten
>into
>before the watery areas can be seen. Anyone know what I'm looking at? Is it
>just a derivation of typical watercore? Common elsewhere?
>
>Many thanks,
>Richard
>Gouldsboro, ME Zone 5
>

>Pat Meadows wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 05:58:49 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:
>>
>> >Our 12 year old Norcue (small Canadian summer apple) developes watercore,
delicious, Del

>> What is watercore?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Pat