nafex - [NAFEX] mulching with pine needles

  • From: markl <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] mulching with pine needles
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 15:37:16 -0400 (EDT)

I know mulching with pine needles has been discussed here before. The advice
that these are to be avoided since they make the soil acid has been exposed
as a myth. I heard a new reason not to mulch with pine needles. A county
extension agent said these should not be used for mulch since they contain
resins that are bad for fruit trees. I didn't know how to respond to that.
I think that is a myth also. Next time I hear that advice I want to have a
comeback. Any thoughts...
-Mark Lee, Seattle zone 8a