nafex - [NAFEX] Fwd: on-line Pomona

  • From: Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fwd: on-line Pomona
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 21:17:21 -0500

I have no interest in developing an on-line Pomona, but I have interest in
developing a fully searchable database of issues and email chats which can
exist on-
line. The difference is many fold.
There is no point in offering an online Pomona considering probably 2-300
members
use it. It does not serve the widest audience. If you folks want to put one
together between friends, feel free, but it wouldn't help me. I prefer to
read. The
best use for paper is to talk about the value of trees. Online and computers
saving
paper is the biggest farce of the tech-saves-enviroment concept.
I favor a free database and a fundraising CD version. A database that is
usable by
everyone ie shareware communicates the primary concept of Nafex: sharing. I
am not
interested in proprietary usage and will suspend my involvement in Nafex if
we
start to close doors that are currently open. I would rather favor opening
more
doors for the very reason no one knows about Nafex. Here's another heads
up:People
have to find a use for something in their lives. I have spoken with many of
the
peopl I plan on giving memberships to and lo and behold, many used to be
members,
which does not suprise me considering they are my fruit mentors. They said
that
they let their membership lapse because they were not contributing and all
people
did was talk about apple flavors. Not affecting the world or communities
directly.
So I do not think I joined NAfex to be part of a secret club that holds some
great
info. Can't anyone call our chairpeople and get help on a plant question or
are we
being rude? None of us knows more than a few good books, a few good
conversations,
and some experience, whether you are a phd or a layman like myself. I am not
keeping anything from anyone, or teasing them with a taste of our supposedly
great
worth or wisdom. If that is the prevailing sentiment, I am not interested. I
am
here because I like to share, be shared with and I do this in normal life
too. I
hope we all do. Lawyers who don't give advise off the clock are not my cup of
tea,
as well as doctors that drive saabs but won't give their time away to help
the
uninsured because of the fear of the LAW.
Fix and improve the current Pomona by helping edit, add, and diversify, show
each
other our positive committment and involvement, and it will draw like-minded
people. They will pay money to be involved not because of Nafex Great
Enlightenment
but because they like the community and have a use in their own lifes.
By-laws are changed with one vote, or not. Majority ot representative
democracy
rules. I assume board members are voted in, and if the wind shifts could be
voted
off or new folks added. This is an issue of participation, not conflict.
A few months ago I asked Lon if someone can write an article for Pomona if
they are
not a member. I believe answer was yes, although a certain circumstance. I
never
saw a restriction on that in my membership orientation, and I am not going to
turn
down good info. Paying dues means I want to help run the infrastrucure by
funding
it, really a donation. I found wonderful fruit long before I joined Nafex,
not I
found wonderful Nafex and then found fruit. But my success sharpened because
now I
found people to share my discoveries with. Although I don't see much original
fruit
or breeding since I joined as part of the conversation, but these are the
events
that inspire me, not whether St. Edmunds Russett is worth growing, but it is
all
great and valuable.
I say collect all the useful links and information and format it in a
incredible
little site that gives because that allows us all to give back from our
sharing. As
soon as you restrict sharing, it goes away. There is a spirit in such
actions, that
if not fully honored does not give back fully, in fact it becomes fairly
useless.
We should WANT to do this. Hell, I send every useful link to friends I know
as
other members bring them in anyways, so its not like the doors are closed
even if
some wanted them to be.
The keys to the kingdom are in your heart being open. There was a young kid
at an
apple function I was at today, and he gleaned info from at least ten folks,
on
apples but also indirectly on how to be a human being and help each other.
But we
also gave him humor to know this fruit stuff should be fun and not eat your
life.
I will focus my efforts on the database/searchable cd proposal and the Pomona
improvement and trying to find out whether the Auction process is worth being
involved in. And maybe grants. It seems like there are already many avenues
for
involvement that just need...involvement.
Oh yeah..the trees never charged me a cent for sitting back and learning
something
about Nature and myself. So I ain't doin this fo money.
Heron