nafex - [NAFEX] taste test two new apples: Hampshire and Fortune

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] taste test two new apples: Hampshire and Fortune
  • Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 16:04:20 -0400

I was at the local fruit stand today, and bought a few of two newer apples that I hadn't tried. I thought I would share my reactions with other NAFEXers.

First, I tried Hampshire. I really wanted to love this apple, but I confess that I didn't. It is large, attractive, and has a pleasant balance of sweet to acid (to me). But I thought the flavor lacked depth. It was similar to a McIntosh, but a little crisper and with a simpler, less rich flavor. It wasn't quite as sweet as an excellent Mac or Macoun. It was a good apple, but not a very good nor an excellent apple, to my tastes. Of course, I only bought a couple, and they were all from the same source. I don't know if the handling and growing was ideal. Still, I was disappointed.

Second, I tried Fortune, mostly because the salesguy said it was his favorite of the more sour apples. (I like an apple with some bite.) This used to be NY429. This apple is a winner. The skin is a little thick and a mite bitter for my tastes, but that might make it easier to grow. The flesh was slightly yellow, and had an ordinary consistency. Not mealy, but nothing special. But the flavor was superb. Very rich, with lots of undertones, and very sweet. Very well balanced, too - no single note stood out. It is also a fairly large and attractive apple, although quite ordinary in appearance. (I couldn't remember its name when I got to the counter, and the two salesclerks guessed about 5 other apples without guessing what it was.) I ate it in the parking lot, and didn't start the car, because I was having too much fun savoring the flavor. I hope this one catches on, because I hope to eat it for many years.

Happy harvesting,
Ginda

  • [NAFEX] taste test two new apples: Hampshire and Fortune, list, 10/23/2004