nafex - [NAFEX] Blackberry Question

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blackberry Question
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:10:55 -0500

I wrote the Doyle's Blackberry people asking about hardiness and this is
their response:
There are lots of reasons why a plant dies. We
have had customers lose 9 out of 10 plants. We don¹t know why but our
experience is that it has something to do with the soil since we have tried
just about everything we can think of ourselves and the plants thrive.

As to the weather, once the plant is dormant and all sap is gone, why would
it make any difference whether the temperature was a minus 10 here in
Indiana or minus 30 further north.

The canes are not flexible enough in our opinion to be removed from the
support in the fall so we really don¹t see how it would be possible to keep
them entirely covered. Some customers like to cover the trunk and roots but
again we don¹t see how this would really make a difference.

Sounds like someone who hasn't the foggiest idea of what it takes to be
hardy. Could the suggestion of the plant being hardy anywhere be
unscrupulous? I think so.
Also, Pete Tallman wrote telling me that he had purchased some and they
didn't taste like blackberries; perhaps it really isn't a blackberry but
just another black berry.
I won't be buying any, any time soon.

Jim Fruth
Pequot Lakes, MN

  • [NAFEX] Blackberry Question, Jim Fruth, 10/19/2004