nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hazel flowers

  • From: Lon Rombough <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hazel flowers
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 13:56:48 -0700

When the catkins are shedding pollen, If you look carefully on the twigs, you should see what look like buds with tiny red thread sticking out of the tips. Those are the female flowers and the red threads are the stigmas. At that time, there are no ovaries or much of anything else. If they are pollinated, it will stimulate the development of ovaries in late spring and they will begin to develop into nuts. Hazel is strictly outcrossing and the pollen must come from an unrelated tree - it's own pollen won't work at all.
I'm in Oregon where 95% of the commercial hazelnut production occurs, and the trees are everywhere here, both in orchards and as volunteer seedlings.
-Lon Rombough