nafex - Re: [NAFEX] how to make 6 variety espalier

  • From: "Joe Boles" <jo.bo@rogers.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] how to make 6 variety espalier
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:07:14 -0400

I've done it both ways. If buds do not take, do them over a little latter in
the year or the following year. If a bud takes but does not grow you can cut
a notch above the bud. It is easiest though to grow your rootstock and get
it to branch all up the main stem, then choose the branches closest to where
you want them and bend them and train them into place. The following spring
cut the branches back to a stub and bark graft the stubs with one or two
buds.

If you are going to bud a 2' tall rootstock, I would cut it at 2' in the
spring and bark graft the budat the cut. Prune away the remaining growth
after the bud is growing well.

Books I would recommend are: The Grafter's Handbook by R.J. Garner, The
Prunning Book by Lee Reich.
Two other good books if you can locate them (out of print) The Lorette
System of Pruning by Louis Lorette and The Fruit Garden Displayed by The
Royal Horticulture Society.

Joe Boles
Mississauga, ON
USA zone 5b, Canada zone 6A