nafex - Re: [NAFEX] temporary housing for squirrels

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] temporary housing for squirrels
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 04:49:10 -0500

Mark,
Your squirrel hotel idea isn't so far-fetched, really...squirrels i hear have a 'homing' instinct, so they return home, no matter where you drive them off to.  [and moving them I understand is illegal to the wildlife laws]

funny story:  My grandmother had a stray that found the pet door and moved into her home and wouldn't leave.  My parents took the cat and drove it away in the car to far far away.  They dropped the cat off and returned to grandmother's house.  Got there and guess what?   The cat had beat them back.

Charlie Paradise
Massachusetts, squirrel country.
there's some pecans the squirrels haven't took yet, must mean they haven't filled yet.

Mark Lee wrote:

I’m getting tired of the local squirrels.  They robbed me of my little walnut crop (maybe 50 nuts total).  I found two that they missed.  Along with the Blue Jays, they wiped out my wild hazelnuts.  They stole all but one of my precious pluots.  Now they are going after my Italian Prunes.  Next year I may make a little hotel for them to check into, made out of chicken wire, maybe.  They would get plenty of food and water during my harvest time, and I would release them in the Fall.  (I don’t have the guts to kill them.)  Would I be breaking any laws by holding these tree rats against their will?

-Mark Lee, Seattle

  • Re: [NAFEX] temporary housing for squirrels, Charles Paradise, 09/14/2004