nafex - [NAFEX] cold hardy Passiflora

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cold hardy Passiflora
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 13:41:07 -0700

Maypop (Passiflora incarnata) is a cold hardy relative of the tropical passionfruit (Passiflora edulis).  I have seen maypop growing around town, although it is not native here.  Is anyone aware of any attempts to crossbreed these two species?  I found reference to Passiflora x. colvilli which is supposedly a hybrid of maypop and a tropical passionfruit, but I have been unable to dig up any sources for this plant.  On a related note, is there anyone that has access to both species that would be interested in trying this cross?

-Mark Lee, Seattle, zone 8a