nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rubus parviflorus

  • From: Dan Sorensen <dan@phantomlake.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rubus parviflorus
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:37:18 -0400

Mark,

I grow a very similar species, Rubus odoratus, which is native as far south as Georgia and is almost identical in appearance except that the flowers are pink instead of white.  You may be able to find it growing wild in your area.  In my opinion it is a nice ornamental and does produce berries that are very richly flavored.  The complaint I have often seen about the berries is that they are dry, but in my experience that is not true.  I believe they get that reputation because there is a fine fuzzy coating on the berries that makes them seem dry.  On the other hand, they don't have as much juice as regular raspberries and are a bit seedy, but the flavor makes them worth eating to me.  They are adapted to shady locations, but as a result they don't produce heavy crops in those conditions.  But they will grow in our Pennsylvania direct sun with no problems and do produce a bit better for me that way.

Some of their other advantages seem to be that they are not as invasive as other Rubus species, they have no thorns,  and the flowers are fairly large and showy, regularly eliciting admiring remarks from visitors to my garden.  They also seem to be resistant or immune to most of the diseases that affect other Rubus species.

Dan Sorensen