nafex - [NAFEX] apricots and sweetness

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] apricots and sweetness
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:43:25 -0700

I have read about apricots being sweet or super sweet, but every fresh apricot I have tried recently has been a disappointment.  I have tried fresh apricots from various trees around town, but they were all bland.  I paid a premium for some at a farmers market.  These were billed as super sweet.  That farmer had some really nice peaches, but the apricots only tasted slightly fruity and not at all sweet.  Not something I would seek out again.  I was starting to think maybe there is a genetic thing going on with my tastebuds that makes fresh apricots seem bland to me.  That’s what I was thinking until I tasted some new apricot varieties straight off the tree at a Washington State University field day held over the weekend in Mt Vernon.  I am trying to track down the name of the varieties, but these apricots were super sweet as advertised.  I wonder if the sweetness in apricots rapidly decreases after the fruit is picked.  I know that sweet corn works that way (sugars turn to starch if not eaten soon after picking).  I may grow some apricots now after having a good experience with them fresh off the tree.

Has anyone noticed super sweet apricots losing sweetness after sitting around off the tree for a few days?

-Mark Lee, Seattle