nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Rubus Tayberry

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Rubus Tayberry
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:01:05 -0500

Title: Message
Suzie, I don't have access to it, but there was a fairly long article in Pomona about growing tayberries: Triolo, V., "Tayberry Culture." North American Pomona, Quarterly of the North American Fruit Explorers 23:2 (April 1990): 3-13.

Also, I believe this is one caneberry that has only met with limited success in the USA.  One of the reasons for this is presented in the ATTRA document, Organic Culture of Bramble Fruits (http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/bramble.html):  "Tayberries were bred by crossing a blackberry with a raspberry.  The flavor of the fruit reflects this parentage, and many people feel that a ripe tayberry is the most flavorful bramble of all.  Unfortunately, tayberries are very soft when fully ripe, so they don't lend themselves to commercial production.  Although they are quite thorny, they grow in a manner similar to trailing blackberries and require similar planting, training, and pruning techniques."

Sam Brungardt, Saint Paul, MN (USDA Zone 4b)