nafex - Re: [NAFEX] picking pears

  • From: Bob Hartman <hartmansfruittrees@wport.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] picking pears
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:39:47 -0700

Thanks Derry. I appreciate your response and that of Lucky. I have been
using these types of suggestions for
the last 25 to 30 years and have been successful with most varieties,
Bartlett, Sirrine, Aurora, Harrow Delight,
and others. I have read this same flyer that you refer to from WSU. I am
wondering if others have had
experiences with Clapps Favorite which I have had problems with and the new
one to me, Ubileen, or other
varieties that present problems in ripening. Obviously not all late
summer/fall pears are equal.

The late ripening pears or Winter pears are in a different class as to
treatment for ripening since most all
require cold storage before ripening.

Thanks again,
Bob