nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plum Choices

  • From: Martha Barrett / Scott Weber <bluestem_farm@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plum Choices
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 08:25:32 -0500

Del,
The only ones we have experience with are the Toka and the Green Gage,
neither of which has given us any fruit. The green gage is huge and
apparently healthy, blooms well but drops its fruit long before it is
grown. Toka is younger, smaller, and not as healthy (disease or a
deer--I forget which--destroyed half of it a few years ago), has bloomed
well and also lost all of its fruits early, although not as early as the
green gage. This year I tried spraying Surround, and although we had way
too much rain to keep the trees covered as recommended it looks as though
we might get one fruit from each one. In terms of fruitfulness I
wouldn't recommend either one. Our Pipestone has many fruits on it now,
and in a few days I may even get a chance to taste one. This year is the
first that it has held on to more than one; I credit the Surround for
holding the curculios at bay.
Muffy Barrett
zone 4 Baraboo WI