nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Poisonous Plants

  • From: Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Poisonous Plants
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:22:11 -0400

Doreen posted:
"The best thing I've found for deterring earwigs is diatomaceous earth. You
can buy it in 4-lb. sacks where organic garden supplies are sold. Sprinkle
the powder around the base of trees and everywhere there are earwigs
present. They get the powder on their feet, it travels into their guts and
they dehydrate. Damage on my berries stopped when I spread it.
Doreen Howard"

I thought it acted to plug up the insects' respiratory spiracles. I've
heard it works on intestinal worms as a vermifuge by penetrating their
tender little bodies. Some of the "Earth Children" may have used it for
this purpose. Under the microscope it looks like what it is; remains of
diatoms, some with sharp spicules but most are tiny siliceous particles.

Doc Lisenby