nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mulberry
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:35:43 -0500

At 10:02 AM 7/16/2004 -0400, you wrote:
Now my Wellington is all the opposite of Lucky's (Is one of them not it?) It has more and bigger berries than I.E. great growth habit Have never had any dieback here etc. Why ??????
I don't know, Gordon, unless one of ours is mislabeled(you didn't get your Wellington wood from me, did you?), or perhaps it just doesn't like my environment.

Pakistan would not survive in Zone 5 anyway it is big and near 2 inch long fruit I understand.
Several years back, Dr. A.J. Bullard wrote a piece for POMONA on Mulberries for the Southeast. He mentioned that Pakistan was really a zone 7 or warmer plant, as the lowest recorded temperature in its native Islamabad was about 28 F. He indicated it *might* work in zone 6, but recommended having it on its own roots or planting with the graft union below ground - which I did. My Pakistan killed back to the ground each winter for 3 years in a row; it would regrow 8-10 ft each year, but never fruited. I dug it up, and potted it up, with the intention of giving it to my dad, who lives on the zone7/8 interface - but I misplaced/lost it, and never did find it.
I got some Pakistan wood this year, and have high-worked it about 7 feet up in my Packy tree. We'll see if it survives the winter in that position.

Lucky