nafex - Re: [NAFEX] need ID: cherry or plum?

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] need ID: cherry or plum?
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 13:09:38 -0500

Well, its a plum that's called a cherry...
i.e. its a cross between sand cherry and a different non-sand cherry species.
I mean clearly the fruit is a plum, not a cherry, right down to the pointed
pit....
sand cherries [prunus besseyi] have been crossed with many species.
but sand cherries aren't cherries of any sort, but are instead a primitive
plum.
They're just, and improperly, called cherries.
I agree the bark is very cherry like. I don't know what to say about that
but likely one of the exotic plum species, like prunus semonii [spelling]
probably
contributed that cherry-like bark.

Well if he can root it consistently he's likely onto something good.

"black cherry" could refer to at least 6 different species.
its a phrase we should forget about and use botanical names.
Charlie Paradise