nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Cherry Plums

  • From: longdistshtr <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Cherry Plums
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:14:04 -0400

"They are the kind of plums the Europeans usually call
"Bullaces".
-Lon Rombough"

In this part of the southern US, the wild muscadine is
called "Bullace Grape" and I've noted that "Bullace" is
another name for "Balata" the dried sap of the Bully Tree
(Manikara bidentata) used in making golf balls.
I was told years ago that "Bullace" was a contraction of the
Scottish term for "Bullet" but later learned in ballistics
that "Bullet" was derived from the French word for a small
ball--"boulette". The Bullace you mentioned probably caused
early settlers to mistakenly or purposely call the muscadine
a Bullace Grape. I know that Bullaces grow in clusters
unlike any other plum with which I am familiar. They are
delicious and wish I could get them to grow and produce
here.
Doc Lisenby