nafex - Re: [NAFEX] cherry plums

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] cherry plums
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 16:32:30 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] cherry plums
Might be, but there is also Prunus insititia, which is related to P. domestica, the European plum, which is small, round, and can be quite tasty.  They are firm, not nearly as soft as the cherry plum, and ripen fairly late.  They are highly prized for jam in Europe.  The common rootstock, St. Julian, is a form of it and the fruits on it are quite decent, though they are green in color even when ripe.  They are the kind of plums the Europeans usually call "Bullaces".
-Lon Rombough

Hi All,

I was in Bamberg Germany last year and outside a monastery, I discovered trees with fruit similar to what Lon describes. The 'plums' are slightly larger than a cherry, green when un-ripe, turn yellow with pink tones when ripe. Very sweet plum taste.

My Czech friend calls them spendliky. They are very common in the Czech republic.  Are they an old variety of 'green gage'?