nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Fruit Bagging

  • From: "Jim Cooper" <jcooper@lewiston.k12.id.us>
  • To: <louisathompson@erols.com>, <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Fruit Bagging
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 08:00:34 -0700

We have just bagged about 1000 apples. The five trees in our residential
yard are of various sizes and ages. We have sprayed several times this
year with insecticide. Diazinon and Sevin were sparyed but with all the
rain we have had I was not expecting them to do their work. I have a
tough time keeping the codling moth away from the apples. In the past
with spray (fruit tree combination spray or others) almost every week I
still have much damage. This year I started spraying diazinon May 3,when
I found multiple moths in the pheremone traps and 109 degree days. Then
again Diazinon May19 252 DD. Then we had several days of hard rain. Then
I sprayed June 6, with Sevin 462 DD followed with rain!!!

So I got 2(ziplock 110 count each)+2(Glad fold top 300 ct.)+1 (Glad 180
ct.) boxes of bags and started bagging! June 10 we did 600 apples. Then
the next day finished with another 400 bags on 5 apple varieties.

The Gravenstein: we have about 75% bagged aproximately 500 apples bagged
Jonathan: we have 90% bagged approx 50 bagged
Gold blush: we bagged 90% approx 50 bagged
Fuji: we bagged 90% approx 40 bagged
Golden Del: we bagged 75% and approx. 350 bagged.

We used 2 types of bagges: Glad fold top sandwich, and cheap zip lock
both from the Walmart. the cost was about $12. We sucured them with
staples. The glad fold top was wrapped around the apple in the corner
then stapled. the zip lock was stapled near the middle then put over
the apple, zipped up the other side and stapled again near the apple
stem.

We had thinned over the past month, so that was done prior to bagging.
My kids and I did this in just a few hours. 1 adult 3hour 2 kids on and
off for 3 hours.

While bagging I did see 10-20% damaged fruit, something spoting the
skin, nothing major. I am guessing the hail may have caused this, most
was visible on the top side. I found one apple that may have had frass
near the bloom end so I took it in and cut it open to find only surface
damage, no tunneling. I did check several others with similar marking,
with no tunneling found.

Jim N. Idaho
Zone 6