nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bad grafts and consequences

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bad grafts and consequences
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 14:09:26 -0400

Hi,

As long as the graft survives, and heals over, in time it will be as good as
any graft.

Depending on the type of graft you did, and where you live, March is plenty
early.

I just bark grafted 2 days ago. The rootstocks were actively in growth, and
my scions dormant from the fridge.

I also did some "benchgrafting during February, and they were left in cold
storage till the weather warmed. Now
they are just pushing buds on the scions outside.

Did a crazy thing too. I had a Antavoka rootstock that had a "Y". On one
side of the "Y" I grafted a blue
flowered crabapple "Alexis", on the other side of the "Y" I grafted a
red/purple blooming crabapple
"Baskatong". As It grows out, I will swap and graft scions from side to side
and have a very unusual tree. It
will have various colored foliage and bloom on different areas. A real
mish-mash.

I have been wanting to try the same thing with various colored lilacs.

Later,
Tom

Later,
Tom