nafex - RE: [NAFEX] feral apples

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] feral apples
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 21:17:28 -0700 (PDT)

There's a certain amount of, hmm, value or cachet
given to heirlooms: vegetables, chicken or sheep
breeds, roses, etc. Often cited is that modern
varities have had the
flavor/hardiness/scent/uniqueness
bred out of them in search of shipability/fast
growth/high production/perfect blossoms/uniformity,
i.e. that mass production breds characteristics that
are desireable for the mass producers, but not
necessarily for the home grower/small producers.
Also, that heirlooms tend to be are adapted to a
particular climate and therefore less suitable for
national marketing, but possibly more suitable for
local use.

When it comes to fruit, would you experts say this
tradeoff holds true? I do get the urge to grow
heirlooms (tomatoes and livestock as well as
fruit), but it's a little silly to grow macintosh in
this area, I think... hmm, as I recall Hudson's Golden

Gem is from southern oregon.

=====
Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall