nafex - [NAFEX] feral apples

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas@tbeckett.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] feral apples
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 23:17:23 -0400

Part of the lore I have picked up about NAFEX is that, in the old days at least, members were oftentimes literal "fruit explorers", seeking out rare specimens in the wilderness areas and trekking through the backwoods to find abandoned orchards for those heirloom varieties.

My question relates to the latter activity: where does one look for stands of old apple trees? Did y'all compile a guidebook or list? I'd love to make some day trips this fall seeking out old Southern apples in the Blue Ridge or Southern Appalachians. How would I begin to locate such places?

Many thanks,

Thomas