nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Big Bird

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Big Bird
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 22:19:41 -0400

Lucky Pittman wrote:

arden. But, my concern is the trees.

Doreen,
Sometime in the past, on this list, there's been someone(Del?, Joe?)

I believe it was Bernie N in Alberta who wrote that. I believe he was discussing Mr. Lee, originator of Lee 3 juneberry and assorted other Zone 3 hardy fruits.

who
related experiences with an older orchardist who specifically kept 'wild-strain' turkeys in his orchard, as he indicated that they were exceptional 'mousers' , capturing and consuming mice & voles - and the caveat was that they HAD to be true wild-strain turkeys - the plain old whites & bronzes just didn't seem to have that instinct.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY