nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Big Bird

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Big Bird
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:52:56 -0500

Lucky Pittman wrote:
Sometime in the past, on this list, there's been someone(Del?, Joe?) who related experiences with an older orchardist who specifically kept 'wild-strain' turkeys in his orchard, as he indicated that they were exceptional 'mousers' , capturing and consuming mice & voles - and the caveat was that they HAD to be true wild-strain turkeys - the plain old whites & bronzes just didn't seem to have that instinct.

Wow!  That would terrific, as we have plenty of mice and gophers in the area.  The bird I spotted had the longest tail feathers I've ever seen on turkey, and he was certainly curious about the trees.
Doreen