nafex - RE: [NAFEX] apple grafting - root buds?

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] apple grafting - root buds?
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:45:23 +0000

When I have a hopeful, but questionable new graft, I let only one rootstock bud grow, and keep it pinched back - till I finally give up on the scion (when it dries out, its bud and bark shrink, etc.)
Del, where currants and saskatoons are just now showing green tip and prunus buds are starting to swell.

Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

&gt;From: Thomas Beckett &lt;thomas@tbeckett.com&gt;
&gt;Reply-To: thomas@tbeckett.com,North American Fruit Explorers &lt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org&gt;
&gt;To: North American Fruit Explorers &lt;nafex@lists.ibiblio.org&gt;
&gt;Subject: [NAFEX] apple grafting - root buds?
&gt;Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:37:15 -0400
&gt;
&gt;Hello all -
&gt;
&gt; Late in March I grafted apples for the first time. Abour 40 trees
&gt;altogether, using whip-and-tongue when the stem diameters were
&gt;similar and cleft when the scion was smaller than the rootstock. It
&gt;was a bit more work than I expected, but enjoyable. (Except for the
&gt;one time I accidentally tried to graft a Cox's Orange Pippin onto my
&gt;thumb: lost several hours of prime weekend in the ER waiting room!)
&gt;
&gt; Now I am examining my results. Some are clearing doing well so
&gt;far, some are middling, and others I am no optimistic about at all.
&gt;The ones that are doing well I have been pinching off the occasional
&gt;buds opening on the rootstock. For the obvious failures I am
&gt;letting those buds grow to preserve the rootstock for next year.
&gt;
&gt; My question for y'all is: for the middling grafts, where the buds
&gt;are opening but hesitant, should I allow the rootstock buds to grow
&gt;in order to keep the root alive, in the hope that the scionwood will
&gt;eventually take? Or will the root buds take all the growth energy
&gt;from the process and actually detract from the graft healing?
&gt;
&gt; Thanks in advance!
&gt;
&gt;Thomas
&gt;Durham, NC
&gt;_______________________________________________
&gt;
&gt;**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
&gt;All other messages are discarded.
&gt;No exceptions. ----
&gt;To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can
&gt;be used to change other email options):
&gt;
&gt;File attachments are NOT stripped by this list
&gt;TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES!
&gt;Please do not send binary files.
&gt;Use plain text ONLY in emails!
&gt;
&gt;Message archives are here: