nafex - Re: [NAFEX] [peony] Re: More about Grafting .

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] [peony] Re: More about Grafting .
  • Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:57:44 -0400

There are both herbaceous and woody peonies. Oddly, they are graft compatible. It is easy to divide herbaceous peonies to propagate them, but very hard to do so with tree-peonies, so the standard way to propagate them is to graft a woody stem onto an herbaceous rootstock. (Sometimes the "nurse-root" is removed after a couple of years.) I don't care enough about peonies to be likely to try grafting them myself, but it's been interesting following the discussion. What's particularly interesting is that there are a number of people who claim to be experienced and knowledgble, and they give contradictory advice. There's a general life-lesson there, I think.

Ginda