nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Edible, ornamental crab sources

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Edible, ornamental crab sources
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:30:43 -0500

At 06:06 PM 4/12/2004 -0400, Richard wrote:
A colleague asked today for recommendations for a crabapple which is
beautiful in bloom, and also has fruit useful for cider, jelly, etc.
Heirloom or other historic value also a plus. He'd like to buy one and put
it in now, so please suggest sources.

I'll extoll it again - "Callaway" is the hands-down favorite, in my family, for eating out-of-hand. At one time regarded as an 'edible' crab, but largely relegated to the 'ornamental' category, it's a heavy producer of large(for an ornamental) - 1-1.5" crabs, usually borne in clusters, with very good flavor. Often assumes a semi-weeping habit, just due to the heavy fruit load. Supposedly has good disease resistant, and is a good selection for the Southeast. Mine is just opening buds now, going from pink to white; it'll be a show-stopper in a few days.
I don't have a source at my fingertips - it's pretty readily available in the landscape nursery industry - I've seen 'em at WalMart/K-Mart(if indeed they were correctly labeled) - Jim Lawson at Lawson's Nursery in Ball Ground GA used to offer it, but I'm not sure if the Lawson's are still in business, as one or both were in poor health the last time I heard anything from them.
"Centennial"(DolgoXWealthy) is another good edible crab with good fruit quality - works well for me here in southern KY, and just as well for my dad in south AL. Very pretty in bloom, and the 2+" apples are handsome with a good flavor. Got mine years ago from Mike McConkey at Edible Landscaping.
Looks like a good crop this year on my "Kerr" crabs - another pretty little applecrab with crisp white flesh and good flavor.
I've got several red-fleshed crabs that are handsome ornamentals, and maybe the fruit would make good jelly or cider, but for eating out of hand, they've been something of a disappointment for me.
I guess from a historic/heirloom aspect, you might consider Virginia or Hewe's crabs, though I don't have those(yet) in my orchard, so I have no experience with them. I think Rollin Woolley at Orchard Lane Growers has it, probably also available from Big Horse Creek.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY