nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Edible, ornamental crab sources

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Edible, ornamental crab sources
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:20:04 -0500

I highly recommend Dolgo, a cultivar grown from Russian seed and introduced
by Prof. N.E. Hansen of the South Dakota Experiment Station. I've grown it
in western Kansas and Minnesota with no disease problems. Tree is extremely
cold hardy. The bright red fruit makes highly flavored ruby-red jelly. The
bloom is white and very bountiful. This cultivar is very widely available.
I suggest your friend search the Web for a nursery that carries it. -- Sam
Brungardt, Saint Paul, Minn. (USDA Zone 4b)