nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grape adventitious buds ?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grape adventitious buds ?
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 07:29:33 -0700

Title: Re: [NAFEX] grape adventitious buds ?
If only the bud below the soil line is alive, it will push.  Just because roots have come from a node doesn't mean that any buds there can't grow.   If there are buds above the soil line, they usually grow instead of the ones belowground.  Year-old rooted plants can push buds from below the soil line.  Unless removed, buds are always there, even after years of wood being laid down over them.  Cut off an old vine and buried buds will push from deep inside the wood of the remaining part.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com
Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003

When I read the original question, I recalled seeing buds sprout from the
same nodes as roots, when I tried grape-cutting propagation (probably
planted too shallow.)  What would happen if he planted/potted these so the
rooting node is at or just below soil line?  Or would this work only on new
cuttings, not year-old rooted ones?