nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Apple Tree Spacing

  • From: Terence Bradshaw <tblists@pshift.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Apple Tree Spacing
  • Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 09:20:09 -0400

I would plant at as close as 6 feet, no more than 8 or nine.  Any more space and you're wasting land.  Given the dwarfing stock and your goal for early bearing, it looks like you are looking for an intensive system.  I'm planting my trees next month at six feet for M9/Bud 9 and 8 feet for G30/M7.  Trees will be trained to a vertical axis system, which allows for tighter spacing than the standard central leader with permanent upper scaffolds. The semi dwarfs would be a bit tight normally but I am on a pretty low-vigor site.

Some good resources on axe training:
http://muextension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/hort/g06024.htm
http://www.acnursery.com/articles.htm#verticalaxis
http://www.umass.edu/fruitadvisor/clements/articles/youngtreetraining.htm
http://tfpg.cas.psu.edu/french_axe/slide1.htm

And a nice spacing calculator from Michigan State:
http://www.msue.msu.edu/fruit/mispacingfinal1.htm

Best of luck,

TerryB

How far apart would you experts recommend planting dwarf (8 feet tall and shorter) apple trees for early bearing?  The ground is covered in turf, but I've removed a 4-foot wide swath in which to plant.  The soil is sandy loam.  I plan to mulch the open ground with a 3-inch layer of wood chips after planting.
Doreen Howard

Terence Bradshaw
1189 Wheeler Road
Calais, VT 05648
(802)229-2004
bradshaw@pshift.com

The views represented are mine and mine only...

  • [NAFEX] Re: Apple Tree Spacing, Terence Bradshaw, 04/09/2004