nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bush cherry/voles/bridge grafts

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bush cherry/voles/bridge grafts
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 13:06:22 -0400

tanis cuff wrote:

> <snip> In walking the hay fields and closely cropped orchard, I often
> encountered concentrations of 20 burrows
> to the square yard! and this goes on acre after acre, so no poisoning or
> trapping or house cat regime could
> possbly control such a reproductive explosion.

Hi,

The good news is that with the population explosion of voles, their predators
will follow suit. Cold comfort to
you now, with your cherries decimated.

If you were to take cherry cuttings now, put them away in the fridge, wait
for suckers to emerge and grow, could
you graft in the end of July? No idea if this is even feasible. But if the
rootstock is not suitable for
cropping, it may be an option.

Tom