nafex - [NAFEX] bush cherry/voles/bridge grafts

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] bush cherry/voles/bridge grafts
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 14:22:27 +0000

With the snow just gone from our orchard I was out examining things and found vole damage beyond any other years'. We had a dozen evans cherries (3' high, multi-branched bush style) that were completly decimated. I use old window screen on trees to good effect, but.....
#1 How can one protect bush fruits from voles?
In walking the hay fields and closely cropped orchard, I often encountered concentrations of 20 burrows to the square yard! and this goes on acre after acre, so no poisoning or trapping or house cat regime could possbly control such a reproductive explosion.
I had not protected other prunus varieties, like p. americana, because they have never gone for prunus before. Same devastating story to my grafted plums. They are still dormant, so I consider doing 18" bridge grafts, but I have never sucessfully grafted p. americana until it leafs out......
#2 How can one bridge graft p. americana / plum after it leafs out......the stripped bark means the top will soon die...?
thanks, Del

Del Stubbs http://www.pinewoodforge.com ag zone2/3

Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar – FREE! http://toolbar.msn.com/go/onm00200414ave/direct/01/