nafex - [NAFEX] Re: Successful Grafts?

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re: Successful Grafts?
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 18:18:19 -0500

Hello,

A pear will survive on apple rootstock.  The question is how long will it survive.

Apples and pears are in the same family.  However, given time the rootstock will reject the scion.  It could take years depending on overall incompatibility.

My great grandmother grafted a pear branch onto an apple tree and ate many a pear from it, but it did not last too many years.

Later,
Tom

Jason E Haynes wrote:

Hi.  I am new to grafting apple trees and have done close to 80 this year by whip and tongue.  I have already set the trees out and most all of them have sprouted and have grown about ½”.  Does this mean the graft has taken?  The reason for my question is I had 3 pear scions get mixed in with the apples and so I accidentally grafted the pears on M111 rootstock.  They too have sprouted!  So this has me wondering if the grafts have taken or if the scion wood itself is supporting the growth thus far?  I am in NE Alabama zone 7.  Thanks in advance for any help!!!

_______________________________________________ nafex mailing list  nafex@lists.ibiblio.org **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!** All other messages are discarded. No exceptions.   ---- To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be used to change other email options): http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex File attachments are NOT stripped by this list TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES! Please do not send binary files. Use plain text ONLY in emails! Message archives are here: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/nafex NAFEX web site:   http://www.nafex.org/

--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Canada