nafex - Re: [NAFEX] truffles

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: "thomas@tbeckett.com, North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] truffles
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 07:32:15 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] truffles
There is a person here in Oregon who sells trees innoculated with truffles.  Hazlenuts (filberts, if you are an Oregonian) have to be planted in alkaline soil to produce truffles, but the fellow is testing Douglas Fir innoculated with the native Oregon white truffle, and they don't need alkaline soil.  I have one going myself.
   Anyway, there is a wealth of info on the site at http://www.truffletree.com
-Lon Rombough

This reminds me of an article I just read last week in our local weekly.
 Apparently two counties in North Carolina are the only place in North
America where black truffles have been succesfully cultivated.  The
pricey fungus is introduced by inoculating the roots of young hazelnut
seedlings.

http://indyweek.com/durham/2004-03-17/dish2.html

It apparently took ten years for the first harvestable fungus to show
up, so you'd have to be even more patient than the average orchardist.
But the payoff is excellent in many ways.