nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mycorrizee --> truffles

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas@tbeckett.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mycorrizee --> truffles
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:10:54 -0500

Jwlehman@aol.com wrote:
Inoculants can be purchased but are quite expensive. One is made by Plant Health Care in Pittsburgh, PA. This product is trade named MycorTree Root Dip. For detailed info go to WWW.planthealthcare.com. It is sold in 10 pack packages and runs about $9.80 per bag with freight.

This reminds me of an article I just read last week in our local weekly. Apparently two counties in North Carolina are the only place in North America where black truffles have been succesfully cultivated. The pricey fungus is introduced by inoculating the roots of young hazelnut seedlings.

http://indyweek.com/durham/2004-03-17/dish2.html

It apparently took ten years for the first harvestable fungus to show up, so you'd have to be even more patient than the average orchardist. But the payoff is excellent in many ways.

Thomas
Durham, NC