nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rooting cuttings

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rooting cuttings
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 08:48:39 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] Rooting cuttings
I was talking about stored, dormant cuttings.   It's more of an emergency method, but it does work.  Otherwise, I'd graft the cuttings and use green cuttings off the graft to get own-rooted vines.
-Lon Rombough

I think that what Lon describes is really semi hardwood or softwood cuttings. I have done a this and find that it works better than dormant hardwood cuttings. I also take most of the leaves off - leave the top two or three and then dcip or spray the tops with wilt-pruf. I have a cold frame in the shade to keep them cooler. I do this in early summer.