nafex - Re: [NAFEX] MANGOSTEEN: The Forbidden Fruit

  • From: RW Spalinger <rwspal@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] MANGOSTEEN: The Forbidden Fruit
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:57:12 -0600

On Mar 23, 2004, at 12:36 PM, Mark Lee wrote:

Randall wrote...
"When I was living in Malaysia, we would eat mangosteens to cool down
after eating durians."

Randall,
What do you mean "cool down". I have eaten a few nibbles of durian and
have never experienced any heating-up. The amount I have eaten was not
much, so maybe it is dose-related.

If one eats a substantial amount (half or so) of a durian, which is about the size of a football, assuming that you can actually do that, there is often an experience of sweating, flushness of the skin, things like that. It is not an extreme sensation. I've been told that durians have a lot of sulphur compounds in them that contribute to the dilation of capillaries and other effects that tend to make the body feel warm.

Mangosteens, and I'm sure other fruit would do the same thing, tend to counter the durian effect.

Randall S.