nafex - [NAFEX] cicadas

  • From: Hector Black <hblack@twlakes.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cicadas
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:48:10 -0600

Hello all,
    I was surprised that there were so few people having problems with cicadas.  We've had extensive and serious damage to fruit trees and bushes.  They seem to lay eggs on the under side of small branches.Often the branch will break or the damage to the cambium is so severe that it is better to prune off the branch.  I still find damaged branches when I prune bushes that were damaged quite a few years ago.  There's just no cambium left on the bottom side of branches - it just doesn't heal over and during the first year offers an entry point for fireblight on any susceptible fruit.
    Hector Black zone 6 middle TN

  • [NAFEX] cicadas, Hector Black, 03/23/2004