nafex - [NAFEX] kiwi questions

  • From: Hector Black <hblack@twlakes.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] kiwi questions
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:42:43 -0600

We have had similar experience to most of you.  Our arguta (Ananasnaya) is pretty old by now and covers a circle a little over 40 ft. across.  We lost the early growth for about 6, 8 years to late frosts and then it seemed to have enough reserve fruit buds to bloom if the first ones were frozen.  It also leafs out later now.
    Our kolomikta is under the arguta and gets shade, but regularly leafs out and is frozen.  They're getting taller despite that.  Regarding sun - we saw them planted in full sun like grape vines in Russia near Moscow.  Single wire trellis above them, maybe 4-5 ft. off the ground.  I would have thought their climate would be continental, like ours, but I guess not.
    Hector Black zone 6 middle TN

  • [NAFEX] kiwi questions, Hector Black, 03/23/2004