nafex - [NAFEX] Spring Freezes, Cold Hardy Kiwi, Kolomitka yields

  • From: "Moyer, Richard" <ramoyer@king.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@lists.ibiblio.org'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Spring Freezes, Cold Hardy Kiwi, Kolomitka yields
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:28:23 -0500

We are predicted to hit 15-20 F tonight; daffodils are in full bloom as are
Nanking Cherries and Cornus mas. The C. mas typically fruits despite this,
but the Nankings lose all fruit for the year.

If any of you have cultivars or tricks (microclimates, etc) that escape
spring freezes which normally eliminate that crop, would be glad to hear of
them. Spring freezes are our biggest fruit challenge.

As for kiwi, we planted kolomitkas and argutas about 10 years ago, the
kolomitkas in more shade here in Zone 6. The buds or blooms freeze
routinely on the former, but the Argutas give a crop most years, and 'Anna'
is reliable for reblooming and cropping after freezes which wipe out our
other argutas. We've yet to produce a single kolomitka fruit, I think due
to fluctuating spring temps.

As Doc noted for figs, once the argutas are established, can handle cold
pretty well.

Anyone ever had a bumper crop of kolomitkas? What's the yield potential
under ideal circumstances?
Many years, our major problem with our single Anna vine is what to do with
all the fruit.
Any voices of experience on kolomitka production?

Richard Moyer
Zone 6, East Tenn

---