nafex - [NAFEX] Using black electrical tape when grafting.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Using black electrical tape when grafting.
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:50:10 EST

In a message dated 3/17/2004 6:43:45 PM US Eastern Standard Time, lisaalmarode@yahoo.com writes:

As well as the rubbers, I tried some black electrical
tape, which seems to me was mentioned awhile back but
not in these recent discussions. Is this a good (hmm,
Honda civic hatchback) technique?

It depends on what and how you are using it. As someone else wrote, don't cover the buds with it. It is doubtful they would push through. Yes, you could wrap an entire splice graft but space it around the buds so they are exposed and that would likely work.
But using balck rather than white could cause the union to reach higher temperatures. Keep in mind most wood growth slows down and may even stop  above 90 degrees F.

Jerry

  • [NAFEX] Using black electrical tape when grafting., Jwlehman, 03/17/2004