nafex - [NAFEX] Blackberry fruits that are white or won't develop fully

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "NAFEX discussion list (E-mail)" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Blackberry fruits that are white or won't develop fully
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:11:05 -0600

I've grown 'Illini Hardy' blackberries for 4 years. However, I'd like to tap
your knowledge on two problems I'm observing:

1. Some of the developing 'Illini Hardy' fruits turn partially white, making
them very unattractive. Is this weather or cultivar related, or is there
something I can do to remedy this?

2. As the picking season ends, many of the last fruits set do not develop as
they should. Instead, they never get large, and they are hard and tasteless.
Again, can I do anything about this, or should I just accept that the last
fruits to set often do not develop fully?

Would appreciate this group's knowledge on this. I did a ibiblio search of
NAFEX messages but was unable to find anything on this. Also, the print
sources I have access to do not seem to discuss these problems. I generally
keep the plants well watered. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA Zone 4b)

  • [NAFEX] Blackberry fruits that are white or won't develop fully, Brungardt, Sam, 03/10/2004