nafex - Re: [NAFEX] My view of black currants (long)

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] My view of black currants (long)
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 21:54:07 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] My view of black currants (long)
Lee always includes a lot of historical research in his writings, and to be fair, he may have used that Gerard quote as being the main thing he could find to start the article.  Every writer does it differently, though.
   Ironically, I understand that black currant buds are used in perfume and flavoring and that they (the buds) are as valuable as fruit, if not more so, in some parts of Europe.
   And I personally like the odor of black currants.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com
Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003

I would not open and article nor would I even include the comments of a herbalist such as John Gerard ­ I think that time has proven that it was just his personal opinion which has not stood the test of time. In spite of his declaration that black currants are stinking and loathsome, there are approximately 800,000 metric tons grown each year and I expect that most of them are actually consumed. About 90% are made into juice which is very good, very nutritious (even being recommended for infants) and is sold all over Europe. The juices are not readily available in the US, but that is our loss. The people that I know that make juice from black currants either have no trouble selling it or hoard it for their own use.