nafex - RE: [NAFEX] wholesale nurseries

  • From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] wholesale nurseries
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:48:39 +0000

Some years ago I tried to understand the WI regs on this. Never did feel as tho I had a good grasp of it, and regs change w/ time. BUT, I doubt there is any rule anywhere that says you must have a nursery license just to buy wholesale, but rather for turning over the product in a business or possibly hobbie venture. (Here in WI the logic was to license & keep track of the people/places who were turning over the larger volumes, for keeping track of disease & insect spread.)

The wholesalers I bought from were concerned only that a buyer order enough volumes of plants to make the exchanges worthwhile. That's like the "wholesaler discount" advertised by those nurseries which try to do both wholesale and retail.

I never did completely understand the tax issues, sorry. Wholesalers and retailers in WI were (are?) issued a "tax number", for which current info can probably be got from the WI Dept of Revenue-- that is, your state's Dept.

tc